Print Page   |   Sign In   |   Join NAHAM
Up front Collections
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/6/2014 at 5:29:53 PM GMT
Up front Collections

We are looking to revamp our collections training. Do you have a special cash class or program that you are effectively utilizing to promote collections in Patient Access?

6/15/2015 at 10:17:18 PM GMT
Are you for real?

11/1/2019 at 12:14:50 AM GMT
Hi there. Although I am unsure of the setting in which you are attempting to collect, I would like to offer some assistance if possible.
I am Patient Financial Services Representative in the Emergency Room, therefore my task also includes requesting ER co-payment amounts. Fortunately for me, I have experience as a "hard-core" debt collector, so attempting to collect from a patient in the ER definitely beats skip-tracing and collecting over the phone.

Since my start here in the ER, I find it very easy to collect using the same language as I did with my past collection skills. For example: Always look the patient in the eye when requesting amounts and never feel as if they are unable to pay. Make the request using a kind, firm tone asking directly. Always assume the the patient is aware of their co-payment amount. Here is an example of what usually works for me: "Your co-payment amount for the ER visit is $350. How would you like to take care of it?"

My previous training prohibits me from saying anything else, until the patient responds. If I get a "can you send the bill to me" response, I say "Yes. Certainly. If you are unable to pay the full amount today, please know you have the option of making a partial payment". This way the patient now feels less pressure and more than likely be willing to show "good faith".

Hope this helps. I shared this info with my co-workers since it was difficult in the beginning of my tenure, for them to understand how I met and exceeded my collection goals each month for five (5) consecutive years.

All the best with the training.

Community Search

© National Association of Healthcare Access Management
2025 M Street NW, Suite 800: Washington, DC 20036
(202) 367-1125 : info@naham.org

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal  ::   Privacy Policy
Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal